Saturday 24 August 2013

Life in the coffee line and the art of paying it forward

Greetings! As I reach the end of my vacation, I can't help reflect about everything that has transpired over this short period of time in my life. I think about how energized I now feel after going through the 9 days that I just did. And on top of it all, to see myself grow as a person amidst all this....words can't describe how grateful I am to have all the wonderful friends I have. And to think how my Facebook friend list grew as well seeing as how I made a whole pile of new ones.

This has been a busy week for me. I just wrapped shooting a film produced through Mental Health and a program called Healing through humor (www.healingthroughhumour.com/). It was a fun shoot indeed. I think there were lots of new talent discovered and definitely new film connections made. My friend, Lindi Edge, got to showcase her wonderful special effects talents which only served to get me anxious to start the filming of the trailer to my story called Oblivious. She's also my special effects guru so I definitely look forward to working with her on this project.

I also bumped into the writer Rick Anthony. He was the author who wrote the script for my upcoming feature movie Bread Thieves. He was very excited about what direction the movie has taken in the post production process. We are looking at the movie finally being completed in 8 weeks. Please have a look at our website and trailer at http://www.breadthievesthemovie.com And please share it with your friends! And yes, even though I do play a meth addict in this movie I want to clarify that I do clean up well. Stay tuned for more details as they unfold.

Its really funny that life has a way of throwing in little litmus tests for us to gauge our moral compass. It could range from things like opening the door for an old lady, helping an old lady with her grocery bags, or even helping an old lady across the street. But sometimes that proverbial old lady does something for you which then tests your ability to show your thanks....and not just with a Werther's Original.

Anyone from Canada knows how stressful it can be to stand in a Tim Horton's coffee line. Most of the bitterness comes from having the new people who newly join the line not follow the unwritten rules of the line...such as not allowing a group of your friends to join your place line thus making me wait for my coffee longer just because so and so doesn't know what the $&*# he/she wants......breath Glenn...breath. I won't even go over what people do when someone cuts into the drive thru line. How can that even happen Glenn you ask? It does...they slowly drive into the parking lot and then turn into the line. And then to have that person look at you and just shrug their shoulders at you knowing full right that they knew you were waiting there in your Sonic Blue 2012 Ford Focus hatch back... I'd rather go into the &#*@ing store!! Breathe Glenn breathe.....I think you get what I'm talking about right? I mean come on! Anger issues aside, the most stressful place in Canada is the Tim Horton's coffee line. Well, that was until I experienced something that totally changed my perspective on what the Tim Horton's coffee line was all about.

And so I shall explain. I was in my local WalMart buying some sustenance products and had walked over to the Tim Horton's in this particular WalMart with 5 bags of groceries in hand. While standing in line, I turned to the old ladies that were standing behind me and made a joke that caused them to laugh little. I typically engage random strangers in stores but making jokes. Just smile and nod...its just my nature. All of a sudden one of the old ladies says to me "You need a cart for all those bags," and then ran across to a cart that was just sitting there about 20 feet away. As she ran to the cart I looked at the people standing in line behind us and I just smiled. The lady came back with this cart and said here, put your bags in their. Because of the effort she made to get the cart, I placed my bags into the car and looked at her and said "You know, seeing as how you made all that effort to make me comfortable please take my spot in line." It was only one spot in the line...but it would make her "next" before me. This is very important seeing as how being "next" is my favorite part of the line. After that its pretty much downhill and anti climatic. So, at first the lady said no. I insisted so she gracefully traded places with me. When I later thought about how much that made me smile, a real sense of joy washed over me. Not only had she made my day, but I made hers as well. It was a very neat moment.

The moral compass lesson learned from all this is that we should always strive to touch people's lives in a positive way. Doing things like random acts of kindness, or even common sense stuff like honesty can go a long way to ensuring positive energy flows in your life and also in the lives of those around you. Never be bitter and always see the value that true and honest friendships can bring to your life.

Have a great week!

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment