Saturday 17 August 2013

A tale of two friendships: Part deux

Greetings everyone! I am on vacation today so took my show on the road. I am writing this blog whilst preparing to officiate a ceremony where a very good and longtime friend of mine shall renew his vows with his fabulous and totally devoted wife. There is a catch to this however.....he has no idea I am going to be here today. I am in Edmonton and hiding out with Kat, her husband Ibby and their 3 wonderful kids. One comment about this family.....we should all aspire to feel and share the same love they give each other.

My friend Dennis and I were in the navy together back in the late 80's early 90's. And I can't go on with this part of the blog without mentioning my other buddy Ron. This completes the 3 Amigos. Ron also lives in Edmonton but unfortunately could not attend. All three of us misfits had a close bond. Not just because we were soldiers. We pretty much got into trouble together during our time on the coast. Hey, we were young and stupid and that's the only excuse I am going to provide without the presence of a lawyer. Just kidding of course.

The horse incident of  1990 aside (don't ask) I am here at the request of my friend's wife Val. She approached me a few months ago and asked if I wouldn't mind coming down for this day and surprising Dennis. I said yes right away. She kept me in the loop right down to when she asked him to renew their vows on the top of a mountain with a candy ring...I heard everything. Then he messages me and said it would be an honor if I came down to watch them do this. I snickered and told him that unfortunately I couldn't because I was filming a movie. That was partially true actually but I asked to have my scenes shot around these dates. I guess I selectively "forgot" to tell him this. Oh well, what can I say? Then yesterday, I sent his wife a text message telling her to tell him that I am sorry I wasn't able to attend and that I was wishing them the best....yup! Another part of the veil of secrecy.

So right now, as I sit and write this blog post, Dennis is outside, taking it all in....happy that everyone could attend....the knowing that the eating of burgers was just around the corner.....and I know he is wondering about the football game currently playing out in Regina.  I'm in the basement waiting for the big reveal!  What a sucker!! :)

The reason why I like doing things like this for a friend is because of the life long friendship I have with my two friends Dennis and Ron. I got out of the military before these two did and we didn't see each other for 20 years. But when we had a reunion a few years back (another surprise for my buddies) it was like we just picked up where we left off...except our bellies were bigger. The fact is, I had no issues coming to visit over a long distance because the friendships I created with these two guys were positive. The memories I had with there were full of laughter, funny situations and drunken escapades only young men go on....well, the ones where you have a falling out with your buds where you decided that walking back to base was the right thing to do and that will show me.....right? Most of all we were all equals. No one was better than the other. That's the way it is with all my true friendships. True and positive friends will never sarcastically say things like "see you in 20 years." Unlike the so called friend I talked about in a previous post who had used the "see you in 5 years" comment to make me feel bad, my true and positive friends actually say "See you next time." They would also say, lets not make it another 20 years.

I sometimes regret not visiting often with all these wonderful people that have touched my life. But I truly know that they all care about me. They know I am a stand up guy. They know I would never do anything to turn their worlds upside down. They treat me like family and are always excited to see me no matter how much time has elapsed since our last visit. They are the ones that cheer me on with my acting and writing  endeavors. They are fans of me....and I am fans of them. If I could sum it up I would tell them all that admiration is a two way street.

Stay tuned everyone! More exciting announcements on the horizon. I gotta run as I am just about ready to join my friends for a celebration! Happy 15th anniversary Dennis and Val! Your devotion to each other should serve as something we should always aspire to in our own.

Cheers!

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment