Friday 30 November 2012

Logic vs Creativenessness......

I was recently told that I am a contradiction in terms. Now, those of you that know me will  have a grand old chuckle about this.  Those of you who don't know me...well, all I can say is I march to the beat of a different drum....in every aspect. When I was created, they broke the mould and crushed it to make sure no more of me could be created.

My friend told me that there are two worlds in my reality that, for some reason, seem to balance out my life. I was told that there is my logical/scientific side. This part of my reality is where I reside in most of the time. It pays my bills, makes me think, and it wows me. It makes me look at the stars and wonder about all the things yet to be discovered that are out there. This world includes my fascination with physics and anything that deals with the reality of things that are just out of our reach when it comes to defining what it all means.

The other part of my world is my creative side. This world has always ruled my life but from a distance. Its been a silent partner guiding me through life. I've been starting to uncover it bit by bit, trying to make sense of this world. I mean, I know I've always been able to act. Its a skill I am learning to fine tune with every project I work on. The writing is a huge deal because up until February of this year I had never written anything that even remotely looked like a story. Now I have zombies running around in WW1 France... or a serial killer lurking in the darkness waiting for a chance to enforce his will on an innocent victim...or even a tragic love story between two life long friends......they are all in my head! I don't have a day go by that I don't pop in and out of those worlds and invent new stuff for my stories. Sometimes I see something in my logical world that helps my stories play out....I get inspired by alot of things around me. Yes, I love my cup of coffee...it inspired me to write this post. (Birdie, that one was for you....we need to go to Starbucks soon!)

And then it made me think...

Where did all this come from? Again my logical world reared its beastly head at me...and laughed! It said to me "SUCKER!"! Touche logical brain....touche! I thought about how hard it must have been for humans to decide to be creative. I really wanted to know the true force behind this side of us that sometimes gets repressed, internally and externally. And after careful thought it came to me while I was thinking about how good that damn orange was.....creativity isn't a decision. Creativity is a calling. Its in your DNA. Its your personality...an extension of you. We sometimes hold in this part of ourselves in contempt because it goes against the grain. The logical people in this world are leary of the creative people but only face to face. The results of creativity entertain the logical. It takes them away to another world, whether it be because of a painting, music, movie, etc. The questions that lingered in my mind was if a logical person can be taken in by a creative person's efforts, doesn't it make the said "logical person" a "creative person?"

 So, as you can see, I am definitely a contradiction in terms. I will never be anything but that contradiction in terms. Its what everyone in my life knows and loves. Its what makes me feel alive and energized. Go out and find that creative side of you whether it be painting, music, writing, etc...just do it! I think you'll be surprised at what you find out about yourself.....

G.



No comments:

Post a Comment