Saturday 17 November 2012

The noises in my head.....

Don't be alarmed! The title is metaphorical. I want to start off this blog with one of my favorite quotes:

      "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." -George Bernard Shaw

Now thats a loaded quote. I've been told I have no fear when it comes to performing. I would say that it isn't necessarily something related to fear. After I found this quote and I started mulling over its meaning it suddenly came to me. I was willing to make mistakes in the order to live my life instead of doing what I did in the past...which was being complacent with my environment. That is toxic to anyone, and being I am the person I am, it was 100 times worse for me. Was it the fear of losing my comfort zones that kept me from chasing my dream? Was it fear that kept me from living the fullest life I could ever live? And just so you know, I just found this quote this morning so my words here today are fresh and are my initial reaction to something that made my life more clear to me.

Society allows us to feel the failure of mistakes. Its like in sports when an athelete makes a mistake in play that costs his team. How bad does that athelete feel afterwards?  Having said that, I thought about when did this particular trait in us humans became apparent. If you think about it, humans advance more when they are willing to make mistakes. I am thankful of this because if it wasn't for the willingness to make mistakes, the caveman would have never learned how to make that spear or start fires to cook meat. The list goes on and on. Anytime someone goes against the grain a bit and makes profound changes in how they live their life, its another person complacency loses. And thats a good thing!

"The noises in my head" doesn't refer to me going off the deep end. I refer to the noises as the story ideas that bounce around the inside of my numb skull. I have three stories that are in progress right now, and I want to work on all three. The noises are made by plot line changes, scenes, characters, and pretty much anything that involves my writing process. I now have a daytimer that I now use to schedule my time...and yes, I schedule time for my stories. I have found that now I can zone in one on story. As long as I know which story I'll be working on the noise volume goes down.

A little update on Bread Thieves. We just did a press release for the movie this week so this signals another step in the evolution of the film. Now that the press is aware of us we are now booking interviews with the local media. I get to do my first TV interview this Monday morning on the CTV Regina morning show. I'm very excited about this and really want to use this to get people excited about this story we helped bring to life. Seeing how people are starting to embrace the production gives me inspiration to see my own stories come to life.

And now I will leave you with another fitting quote:

                 "A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life" -Charles Darwin


Check out the Bread Thieves website at http://breadthievesthemovie.com


G.

No comments:

Post a Comment