Saturday 8 December 2012

Coffee pots make the world go 'round....

Good morning! I say that because it is always morning somewhere.....

What a week this has been! I started it being sicker than sick and I am ending it agonizingly contemplating getting into my car and going on a coffee run...

And then you say "Glenn! Just make a pot!" Easier said than done once you realize why I am even catorgizing this as an effort.

I'm gonna back this up a bit as any good story deserves a lead in. As many of you might know, I live in Saskatchewan Canada. Now, to most Canadians, Saskatchewan will invoke images of cold. We are one of the coldest places in Canada during the winter. When people say Canadians are friendly people, its not because we are just plain nice people....lets face it, if we were mean, awful people, then no one would want to cuddle with us to keep us warm. Now before I start sounding like Gollum, let me elaborate. It is freaken cold here! We have to plug our cars in to stop them from freezing! Lets just say, that the person that invented heated seats is a hero and should win the Nobel Peace prize. I think that every morning when I am on my way to my day job.

Now, over a week ago, I was assisting the Police College doing some scenario training for their students. I played a bad guy that stabs his wife and runs into a house to evade police. Its a fun scenario to play out. Now, to really appreciate what an actor goes through (not always rosy) let me set the scene: It was blowing snow and cold as &$%*#@!! The wind was blowing so hard I could hear the hum from the wind blowing through my ears...the same sound you get when you blow air over the mouth of a glass bottle. Get my drift? (No pun intended) Anyways, the scenario starts outside, I make a stabbing motion and then run my ass into the house. I do this up to 8 times in a morning. Out in the cold, into warmth...struggle and fight the police....wait for debrief of the students, then its on to the next group.....8 times. Not good for the lungs and body....but alot of fun!

I woke up two days later and was sicker than sick. Chest, sinus, and body aches everywhere! I was like this for 4 days. I couldn't even go to work. Then on the 5th day, I sat up and I could breathe! And I said to myself, and very sarcastically I might add, "Great....I have to go to work." And so I proceeded to get prepared to go to IT land. Now lets get this into perspective....I wasn't doing The Carlton. (Note: If you didn't get this reference, Google it and laugh) I would say that my movements mimicked a zombie actor from the Walking Dead.

Now, half the battle was getting upright. I did it like a boss....and slowly made my way to the kitchen. Coffee was the primary goal amidst the clouded "I'm sick" judgement. I filled the pot full of water, poured it into the machine and set the glass pot at the edge of my counter. This is where it gets good. I thought to myself "Maybe I should move the pot because it might fall off the edge and break." Two seconds later I reached over to pull out the good old coffee can and started scooping cof..SMASH..fee. All I could do was sit and stare at my now shattered coffee pot sitting on the floor. Now, I am sure if you could see my face you would see the little boy that just had his favorite toy taken away because he was bad.....I was devasted. I contemplated calling in sick again because obviously I wasn't in the "decision/troubleshootting" frame of mind. I mean come on, I told myself I shouldn't do it but my body took over and did it anyways.....and couple that with a billion dollar IT network at my finger tips, what kind of disaster could that conjure up. Long story short, I went to work (I love heated car seats), did my job and came home.

Now, here I am 4 days later, no coffee pot and cold weather outside to contend with. Lets just say, that while writing this blog, I got dressed, started my car, and with heated seats, I drove to Timmies, went through drive through and came home. Now I am contemplating going out again to actually buy a new coffee pot......wish me luck!

Have a great week everyone!

G.

1 comment:

  1. NOOOOOOO! I can't imagine the heartache of smashing a coffee pot or of going without coffee!Go buy a new one, STAT

    ReplyDelete