Saturday 26 October 2013

The "Wolf Cop" journey begins.....

Greetings! Isn't it funny how life changes as fast as it does. I remember when my son was born back in 1998. When I think about it I can remember every detail and that was over 15 years ago. The fact that the last 3 years my life has been a blur is an understatement. I have done so many different things during this time that my friends constantly remind me of all the things that I have accomplished. To me, they are just things I do that make me happy. As always, I am constantly pushing the limits, doing new things, advancing my film career knowing that I need to learn more. Its mind boggling to think about all the lessons and realizations I have gone through. The evidence is in the type of acting roles I get or how my scripts unfold when I am writing. Things are definitely advancing and life is on the brink of getting even more exciting.

So I have wonderful news. There was a group of Saskatchewan film makers that entered a film competition called the Cinecoup Accelerator. 90 film projects in total competed with Wolf Cop. It was written by Saskatchewan artist,  Writer/Director Lowell Dean. He is a well known director here in Saskatchewan and I have had the pleasure of working with him on a couple of projects a year or so ago. To make a long story short, the group that ran the Wolf Cop project won the competition which meant that they now have a million dollar production budget and guaranteed screenings on  2600 Cineplex screens (don't quote me on this as it could be more...) across Canada. Well Wolf Cop won the completion and I am pleased to announce that I will be appearing in this movie. Its a small role but I have lines in the film. And the fact that I play a tough thug in this movie is also pretty cool too. Playing a bad guy role seems to be very typical for me. I've played a meth addict, a futuristic drug addict, and a killer in the movies I have acted in. I took a workshop with a very good acting coach back in Feb and he taught me that as an actor, I needed to sell my brand or in other words what I was really good at. My brand is bad guy. I play thug very well apparently according to the students at the Saskatchewan Police College. The various scenarios and the students expectation that when they are in my scenario that they have to bring their A game....otherwise the actor in me has fun. Maybe that's why I am playing a thug role in Wolf Cop. The many scenarios I have acted in have prepared me for this moment.

 I am very excited about this chance for many reasons. Its my first chance of being in a big budget film with lines. And even though its a small role, it helps with the bigger pictures. And there is always a chance that my look or the way I act out my character may attract the attention of another director or producer. Its definitely another credit to add to my list of accomplishments. This is going to be a fun shoot!

Now to some people, the small role may not seem like much, but to me it is. I earned that spot. Its another learning experience and one more step closer to doing what I love. Its a good way to gauge if I am going in the right direction. I wouldn't want to make the mistake of pursuing something that perhaps I was shouldn't be doing. Landing this role showed me that the learning I did to prepare for auditions had sunk in. This is now the second feature movie that I have been cast in the last 2 years. A year ago it was Bread Thieves (www.breadthievesthemovie.com). The stuff I learned from doing that movie definitely helped me land the role for Wolf Cop. I am totally honored to have been chosen for this role. I really look forward to telling you about my experience on set. If you would like to find out more about Wolf Cop and the journey the production as taken to get to this point, please go to http://archive.cinecoup.com/wolfcop.html and see how the concept went through the competition. To follow the progress of production as the movie is being filmed go to the official site at http://wolfcop.com/ Filming starts tomorrow  Oct 27th.

 My other feature film Bread Thieves is scheduled to be out soon. Stay tuned for more information about that film as well.

Have a great week!

G.

No comments:

Post a Comment